Warm, gooey chocolatey banana bread… Mmmm Mmmm… This recipe I stumbled upon making is dangerously delicious and ultimately satisfying! Adding the dates and ditching the eggs gives it that PERFECT outer crispness and inner gooeyness. Here’s the recipe! (p.s. I used ZERO refined sugars, and technically this recipe counts as vegan too since there are no dairy products or eggs)
3 Bananas mashed
8 Dates (preferably big Medjool dates; remove the pit)
1/2 cup Milk (I used Almond Mylk but use any you like)
a sprinkle of Sea salt
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Vanilla (I used the raw form)
2 cups Spelt Flour (this is if you want it Gooey! If you want it Gluten-Free just use Buckwheat Flour instead; warning it will be a bit more dry!)
1 tsp Baking Soda
dash of Lemon juice (this activates the baking soda)
1 whole Banana for the topping
1 regular size bar of chocolate of your choice (I used the 75% Dark chocolate with a touch of sea salt by Lindt, its heavenly)
1) Turn up your oven to 170 C (350 F)
2) In your food processor / blender, add your mashed bananas, pitted dates, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, dash of lemon juice and mix mix mix till it forms an even mixture. You might have a few chunks of dates still, thats absolutely fine.
3) In a bowl mix your sprinkle of sea salt, cinnamon, spelt flour, and baking soda. When mixed add it little by little to the food processor and mix it each time. Keep adding until the full dry mixture has mixed with the wet mixture.
4) In a baking tray, I used a bread form (27.5cm x 8.5cm) but don’t stress if you can’t find the same size, just improvise with what you have, add a layer of baking paper (the paper will make it SO much easier to remove later). Now add in the mixture and pop it in the oven.
5) Bake for appx. 45 mins, then take it out, stick a knife near the middle, when you pull it out it shouldnt be nearly dry. If it is still very wet leave it another 5-10 mins max. then take it out and let it cool at least 20 minutes (if you can wait).
Enjoy Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions or if you have any feedback.